Re: (impl) handling multiple architectures

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> (2) add conditional code to the xml.  which is
> not really something native to the xml "style",
> so...

This would be the conditional node I have been threatening to write. The
syntax would be:

<if cond=value>
	.
	.
</if>

Where conf would be any useful type of test. So far, I have envisioned 2

	arch
		For this test, the architecutre as identified by uname(2)
		would be compared against the value, which would be a string
		such as "i386" or"ia64".

	fexists
		For this test, value contains the name of a file, whose
		existence is tested.

I suppose some form of negation of these condition would also make sense.

Alternatively, the syntax could look like:

<if conf>
	<case value>
		.
		.
	</case>
	<case value>
		.
		.
	</case>
	<default>
		.
		.
	</default>
</if>

Which would provide more of a switch() type functionallity.

                                Stuart

anderson@freestandards.org                                Free Standards Group
Lead Developer, Written Specification                     Linux Standard Base