RE: LSB dependency in SI

On 07-Aug-2002 Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> It's been quite a while since I looked
> at a fresh LSB-si, but if I recall, we
> start out with an uninitialized rpm
> database.
>
> I don't think this is quite right.  We
> do allow (in fact, require) LSB packages
> to have the 'lsb' dependency, and although
> we currently have to install things --nodeps,
> I believe the correct approach would be to
> build some minimal package that provides
> 'lsb' that is installed into the LSB-si
> right off the bat, since I think by implication
> whatever the packaging system has to be
> set up to accept that as a dependency,
> and if our packages weren't otherwise
> broken, they'd fail on the lack of this.
>
> Am I thinking this wrong, or does this
> make sense?

no that is what Stuart and I were yapping about without being explicit.  Sorry.

I need to read up on .specs and make a LSB package for LSB compliant packages
to depend on.  This package needs to be installed in the package database and
the database needs to be properly initialized.

I am thinking this package will also provide the lsb_release program (and what
ever other small pieces are needed).