re: SI packages

<I had to cut and paste this from the archives, so forgive the lack of proper
threading or attributio>

>Looking at the LSB-SI packages, I've noticed that some packages are what I
>would consider "extra" beyond what the LSB specifies and others are "omit" in
>the LSB-SI that are required by the LSB.  Could someone verify my observation?

>http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lsb/src/si/entities/

>George (gk4)

at
bash
bc
bin86 SI-Extra // needed to compile the kernel which the test suite wants
binutils
bison SI-Extra // used to compile other parts of this suite
bzip2 SI-Extra // the LFS stores all of the software in bz2 not gz so i need
               // this to build any of it.  I could revert to .gz from upstream
cpio
cron SI-Extra  // required by LSB
db SI-Extra    // required by rpm
diffutils
dummy SI-Extra // this is a fake MTA to allow cron to exist and comply with the
               // /usr/sbin/sendmail requirement
ed SI-Extra    // test suite complains when not included
file
fileutils
findutils
flex SI-Extra  // used during compilation
gawk SI-Omit
mawk SI-Extra  // we are required to have an awk, it need not be gawk
gcc SI-Extra   // used for compilation
gettext SI-Extra // required for i18n support
glibc
grep
groff SI-Extra // required by man
gzip
kbd SI-Extra   // required to have a working console
lfs SI-Extra   // /etc init scripts
linux SI-Extra // required by testsuite
LPRng SI-Omit
lpr SI-Extra   // required by LSB
m4
MAKEDEV SI-Extra // required to make a linux dist
make SI-Extra   // required by LSB
man
Mesa SI-Omit
mktemp
modutils SI-Extra // required for a working linux system
mount SI-Omit   // found in util-linux
ncurses
net SI-Omit     // not required by LSB
passwd SI-Omit  // shadow contains this
patch
procinfo SI-Extra // can be left out
procps
psmisc
rpm SI-Extra    // required by LSB
rsync
sed
sendmail SI-Omit // satisfied by dummy-mta above
shadow
sh
SysVinit
tar
texinfo SI-Extra // used during compilation
textutils
time
util
vixie SI-Omit   // this is cron
which SI-Extra  // required by testsuite
XFree86 SI-Omit
zlib

#EOF

<begin full Shaleh comments>

please look at the list here:

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.1.0/gLSB/command.html

several binaries from the above list are in that list.

Items marked "needed for compilation" are only in phase2.  phase3 is the actual
LSBsi and is devoid of the compilation cruft.