Re: Should this be a FAQ?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Brian Densmore wrote:

> I couldn't find an answer to my question in any of the
> faqs or searching in the list archives. So here goes,
> I'm working on building a customized installation
> distro (like there aren't enough out there). I want
> to make this lsb compliant, but, other than following
> the fsh and how to code actual programs, I don't see
> much to clue me into building a whole system.

If you haven't already looked at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org, I
highly recommend it.

The LSB intentionally doesn't cover a lot of what you are including in your
project. How the distribution is put together and installed falls outside
the scope of the LSB, hence the lack on any information pertaining to it. 8-)

> Also,
> I'm not sure where to find these lsb compliant
> versions of code either.

Fo stuff like glibc and file utils, just grab the latest source. There
isn't a special version for the LSB, although you will have to pass a
few options to the configure script in each package.

> Finally, the lsb requires rpm
> to be part of the system. Does that mean you must use
> rpm, or can you use something that maintains the rpm
> db and can manage rpm packages?

You do NOT have to use rpm as the default package managment system on
your distribution (in fact, you don't even have to have a package
management system for you distribution). You do however, have to provide
a way of reading and installing a LSB package, which is currently based on
the RPM v3 format.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team