Re: Specification v 0.8

I agree with Ted.  Let the issue rest in peace and P L E A S E don't
force another painful flogging of a dead horse.  If we accept this
misguided attempt at unifying the community, we'll unleash another round
of pent up demand for even more ego boosting.
Frank

Theodore Tso wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:22:49AM -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> > Hope the LSB can allow the name "GNU/Linux Standard
> > Base" to be used as an alternative name to the
> > standard "Linux Standard Base." This will make Linux
> > Standard Base stronger.
>
> I'm sure RMS will call it the GNU/Linux Standard Base whether we bless
> this usage or not.  :-)
>
> > (this is not meant for discussing "GNU/Linux" vs.
> > "Linux".  this is about trying to unifying commonly
> > used terms to bring the community together, where
> > people of different opinions can work together.
> > Similar cases like the debates Russians went though,
> > with the result Russia is called, officially, both
> > Russia and Russian Federation)
>
> Unfortunately, merely blessing this kind of usage means that we would
> be taking a position on what has been an extremely divisive issue.
>
>                                                 - Ted
>
> --

Frank LaMonica         VA Linux Systems Inc.      frankl@valinux.com
(512) 378-3003                                    (512) 378-3004 fax
begin:vcard
n:LaMonica;Frank
tel;fax:1 (512) 378-3004
tel;home:1 (512) 378-3003
tel;work:1 (512) 378-3003
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:VA Linux Systems Inc.;Professional Services
adr:;;114 South Prize Oaks Dr.;Cedar Park;TX;78613;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:frankl@valinux.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;26656
fn:Frank LaMonica