Re: LSB wrapper library

On 3 Apr 2001, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> > > IMO ld-lsb.so.1 should *not* look into /lib and /usr/lib, no library
> > > should live there. We should keep the namespaces really separate.
> >
> > I think it ld-lsb.so.1 should look into /lib and /usr/lib and the
> > distribution only needs to place libraries engineered to be compatible
> > with lsb applications in /lib/lsb in case of ABI breakage...

It seem like the lsb loader should not look in /lib or /usr/lib. It is
only allowed to find the LSB libraries, which will be found in /lib/lsb (either
a copy of the lib, or an appropriate link), or application supplied libraries
found under /opt/....

> If you only fork e.g. libc.so.6 and leave the rest you get the problem
> that two dynamic linkers are loaded since all non-forked libs, like
> libreadline in my example below, are linked against ld-linux.so.2.  We
> shouldn't load two different versions of the linker.

Would it be possible to add a little bit of code to ld-lsb.so.2 to recognize
that it is about to load ld-linux.so.2, and skip over it since that
functionallity is already present?

BTW, Andreas, I think that working through a couple of scenarios to prove
that this system will work and documenting the result, and needed changes
is the actual intent of the cryptically worded sourceforge bug.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team
Creative Applications Lab Chair - SIGGRAPH 2001