Re: (REPOST) user-specific package configuration information

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Theodore Tso wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 20:43:41 -0400
> From: Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu>
> To: sandy pond <sandy_pond@altavista.com>
> Cc: lsb-discuss@lists.linuxbase.org
> Subject: Re: (REPOST) user-specific package configuration information
>
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 03:25:25PM -0700, sandy pond wrote:
> > Presently the storage location for user-specific
> > package configuration information is in user home
> > directories in many various "." files or
> > sub-directories (e.g. ".vimrc", ".gnome").  Please
> > consider the following possibilities:
>
> You're proposing that we make a fairly fundamental change to where
> most packages place their user-specific configuration information,
> which is normally in the top-level of the user's home directory.
>
> While there's some merit to making changes such like this, there are a
> couple of things to consider.  (1) most packages will not be LSB
> compliant packages; packages provided by distributions don't have to
> follow the LSB guidelines.  (2) The backwards compatibility challenges
> here are quite significant; most users and programs expect that
> certain files, such as .bashrc, .emacs.el, .newsrc, etc., live in the
> top-level home directory.  (3) Often, dot files are shared between
> multiple packages.  Examples include .newsrc, .mime.types, and so on.

mainly the third point is really strong, even more than the second.
Modern sysetm will have more and more applications, exspecially isf
they are used interactivelly by users, and if every application has
to have its own .<config file> inside of the users home, and there is no
way to share the most of them, it's going to be
very difficoult and disordered situation for sysadmins and users too

sometimes it is not so bad to be conservative.
Every stupid man is conservative, but not every conservative man is
stupid. (i do not remember who said that)

bests
Luigi Genoni