Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

In message <[🔎] b-8WM.A.umC.qI2P7@murphy>, Mariusz Przygodzki <dune@home.pl>
writes
>On Sunday 01 July 2001 18:29, Timothy H. Keitt wrote:
>> Instead of having, for example, WordPerfect for RedHat,
>> WordPerfect for Debian, WordPerfect for YourDistributionHere, you simply
>> have WordPerfect for LSB.
>
>I am sorry but it will be not work in this case because you may have WP for
>LSB for RH vX, WP for LSB for Debian vX etc. etc (every time the same version
>of WP).
>
>The unified packaging format can not solve problems with some applications in
>some Linux distros automagically but may only cause additonal problems for
>people who try to install and use packages from different distros in the same
>format.

In other words you totally misunderstand the LSB !!!

It is called the Linux STANDARD BASE. Ie a minimum amount of guaranteed
facilities. So you WILL only need WP for LSB.

May I suggest you look at what the LSB are trying to achieve, and stop
believing all the ill-informed rubbish that flies around masquerading as
comment :-(

All this stuff about rpm simply requires that (1) alien is guaranteed to
work (which promptly eliminates a large amount of rpm functionality) and
(2) that distros provide a way of installing such rpms. So a simple
script for debian that invokes alien followed by deb (or whatever it is)
is all the debian would require for compliance. (This para might not be
QUITE right, but it's a damn sight closer than most of the rubbish
flying around...)

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.