Re: File Systems.

   Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:20:50 -0500 (EST)
   From: Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com>

   On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Nicholas Petreley wrote:

   > Why would it have to be a standard part of the upgrade process to worry
   > about symbolic links?  Wouldn't the upgrade program simply reference /opt?
   > If the user/admin had moved it to /something/opt and linked to it since the
   > install process I would think the upgrade program wouldn't care.

   Existing Linux system by and large don't have /opt; if we start moving
   KDE or GNOME from /usr to /opt, those systems with small / partitions will
   break.

I don't think the LSB should be specifying this, so this discussion is a
waste of time.  We've already talked about having LSB complaint
applications search a fixed LSB-defined directory to find LSB-specified
libraries.  (This allows distributions to use newer libraries if they
wish, but to then provide "filter" libraries for backwards compatibility
purposes.  This also allows us to rev the LSB specified libraries in a
way that doesn't break application expecting older LSB libraries.)

I personally like GNOME or KDE in /usr, since eventually one of them
will likely become as "core" as X11.  But the choice of where to put
things should be up to the distribution, and is out of scope for the
LSB.

						- Ted