Universal Package Management System?

Hi all

Has anyone thought about the feasability of a universal package management
system? It would define a new, perfect specification for a package archive,
but should also be able to install existing packages like .deb and .rpm.

Before I continue, is this even the place for me to talk about this? Has
anyone maybe started work on something like this?

Thanks
--
Sarel Botha

What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'.
Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality
assurance people in it's wake.