Re: Configuration

  Hi!  This is follow-up on Steven's previous message, on system
configuration files, registry.  (Unfortunatelly I lost the original
posting, with the original message and Steve's email address).

  First, I think this discussion is a bit off topic, since I think the
main purpose of the LSB is to find a common nominator between _existing_
technologies, not to propose new ones.  However...

  Reading the suggestion, I remembered reading about a Configuration
Cache a few days ago.  The upcoming version of the K Destktop Environment
(KDE) had a config file management/cache sytem library.  I think it is an
interesting idea.  It is called KSyCoCa (from System Configuration Cache).

  The problem it tries to solve is that as configuration files of KDE
applications grow, it takes some time to process them at startup.  To keep
the convinence of text config file, the configuration files are read and
monitored, and converted to a binary cache.  This is transparent to
the applications, as they just have to interface with the system library.

  I think this is an interesting idea combining the convenvience of text
files and efficency of binary files.

  I was not able to found who is the maintainer of KSyCoCa.

  I quote a paragraph + refs:

KSycoca - caching frequently used data

         KSycoca is simply a way for KDE applications to cache frequently
used data such as mimetypes and
         servicetypes. This, while a useful technology, is not as major
change like adopting a registry as some
         people seem to think has happened. It simply reads and parses the
standard ASCII configuration files
         for some types of data and makes the values available to other
applications.

         This is not much of a problem for application specific
configuration files, which are still handled normally.
         It becomes a much larger issue when dealing with things such as
searching for mime types, and such
         operations occur often in the new KDE. It is for this reason that
KSycoca is mainly intended, and has
         resulted in a major increase in performace for accessing this
type of data.

http://www.kde.org/technology.html

Technology: KSyCoCa
http://devel-home.kde.org/~ctibirna/altlin/conf/html/slide_17.html