Re: /mnt/cdrom or /mnt ?

>> I think we can agree that the days of /mnt being use as a temporary mount
>> point, rather than as a directory containing mountpoints are over.

>I don't think that...
>Mike Stone

I think people using kernel based automounter (autofs) is familiar with the
format

/amnt/xyz.

So why not stick to the same convention in /mnt.

And this convention will have more supporters as more people begin to use
autofs.

Another benefit would be uniformity between /amnt and /mnt.

That is

/amnt/****  may be the place for frequently accessed mounts (floppy, cd, nfs,
            etc..)

/mnt/***   would be for temporary AND/OR permanent mounts. And you can still
           manually mount the stuff in /amnt/ to here if they are not mounted
           there.

And this will make / look nicer.
For temporary compatibility issues ugly symlinks can bu used. Such as

/cdrom -> /mnt/cdrom
etc...

PS: What about including autofs in lsb?
It's just a random thought. :)