Re: GNOME Window Manager (fwd)

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>
> > Robert Current wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a mailing list to discuss the founding of a GUI standardization
> > > effort!?
> > >
> > > I realize it doesn't belong on this mailing list.... And, I also know
> > > some others would like to start talking too!
> >
> > It would be nice to have a private mailinglist for this indeed. Then we
> > can try to get a select number of people of the various projects on it
> > so that we have a common communication channel. Hopefully we can then
> > work in a constructive way towards some common goals.
> >
> > As a name for the list I would like to propose "Unix Desktop
> > Compatibility".
> > That seems to be general enough not to exclude things/people/projects
> > on beforehand.
> >

> Hi
>
> I like the proposal.
>
> While I can see very well towards what the _discussions_ will be driven, I
> still have problems imagining what _real work_ would look like. But I'm
> quite sure that things will emerge.
>
> Could the ICCCM protocol proposal be considered as a start point? It
> doesn't only deal with window manager mechanisms but also with simple
> session management in X and other such stuff.

I see no problems with ICCCM being a part of a standard at this point but
I think that the first step towords a standard would be to define
interfaces between the applications and window managers/panels/mime
rpositorys/and so on. This means that we have to define the "core
components " in a desktop environment and their interfaces. When the
interfaces are identified the next step is to decide what kind of protocol
to use (ICCCM/Corba/....).

 > ICCCM translated to html:http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/ >

//Mats Loman