Re: GNOME Window Manager (fwd)

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Robert Current wrote:
> >
> > Is there a mailing list to discuss the founding of a GUI standardization
> > effort!?
> >
> > I realize it doesn't belong on this mailing list.... And, I also know
> > some others would like to start talking too!
>
> It would be nice to have a private mailinglist for this indeed. Then we
> can try to get a select number of people of the various projects on it
> so that we have a common communication channel. Hopefully we can then
> work in a constructive way towards some common goals.
>
> As a name for the list I would like to propose "Unix Desktop
> Compatibility".
> That seems to be general enough not to exclude things/people/projects
> on beforehand.

Hi

I like the proposal.

While I can see very well towards what the _discussions_ will be driven, I
still have problems imagining what _real work_ would look like. But I'm
quite sure that things will emerge.

Could the ICCCM protocol proposal be considered as a start point? It
doesn't only deal with window manager mechanisms but also with simple
session management in X and other such stuff.

ICCCM translated to html: http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/

---
Cristian Tibirna           ::  ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca
Net.Admin.; PhD Student    ::  WT: (1-418-) 656-2131/6224
GCH - U.Laval, QC, Canada  ::  HT: (1-418-) 658-2286