Desktop normalization

Hello,
I'm asking me a question. There is now 2 big desktops for Linux: KDE and
Gnome.
Couldn't we add an API to access either Gnome or KDE desktop for the
applications to interact with them.
So, a Word processor could access Gnome if it's running Gnome or KDE if
it's running KDE or other or nothing if no one is installed. The program
itself should not know on which desktop it is running.

What do you think about that? Does anybody knows of something like that?
Thanks for your attention.
-jec

PS: I'm not in this list. Could you please send me e-mail personally
too.

Jean-Eric Cuendet - Linkvest S.A. - Av. des Baumettes 19 - 1020 RENENS
-CH
> Phone: ++41 21 632 90 43 - Fax: ++41 21 632 90 90 - eMail
> jean-eric.cuendet@usa.net

If Microsoft made toasters...
Everytime you bought a loaf of bread, you would have to buy a toaster.
You wouldn't have to take the toaster, but you have to pay for it
anyway. Toaster would weight 15,000 Kg(hence requiring a reinforced
steel countertop), draw enough electricity to power a small city, take
up 98% of the space in your kitchen, would claim to be the first toaster
that lets you control how light or dark you wanted your toast to be, and
would secretly interrogate your other appliances to find out who made
them. Everyone would hate Microsoft toasters, but nonetheless would buy
them since most of the good bread only works with their toasters.