Re: Help needed

Nadine.

This list is not the right place to ask your questions.  I've replied here
to let other people know that your mail has been answered.  If you want
more help you can reply to me privately and I'll help you as much as I can
and help you to find the right lists to ask.

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 Dressed29@aol.com wrote:

> HELP!
>
> I have just spent several hours paging through the debian/knu websites and
> related sites and cannot find answers to my questions.
>
> First let me say that free software sounds like a great idea to me!  And it
> seems that any type of program I currently need is available for the os.  I
> would like to change my operating system.
>
> However,
>
> 1.  Do I need to be a programmer to use this os and related programs?

No.

> 2.  Can I set up the os from dos to run concurrent with Windows?  I

It's possible to set up from DOS, but I never do it that way.  It would not
run "concurrent" but "in place of".  Only one operating system would be
active at the same time.

> currently use both Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.
>
> Or
>
> 3.  Is there a way I can transfer my windows files, such as saved documents
> such as text files and graphics files to use and manipulate in your
> os/programs?

Yes.  You can set up your computer so that you can run either linux or
windows.  When you are running linux you will be able to read all your
windows files.  However, I mean "read" in the sense that the files are
accessible to the system.  Many windows applications write files in
proprietary formats --- in some cases it will take a little work to find
out how to transform the data formats.