Help needed

I have just spent several hours paging through the debian/knu websites and
related sites and cannot find answers to my questions.

First let me say that free software sounds like a great idea to me!  And it
seems that any type of program I currently need is available for the os.  I
would like to change my operating system.

1.  Do I need to be a programmer to use this os and related programs?

2.  Can I set up the os from dos to run concurrent with Windows?  I currently
use both Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.

3.  Is there a way I can transfer my windows files, such as saved documents
such as text files and graphics files to use and manipulate in your

Thankyou, and I apologize for not knowing anything about programming!

Nadine Sabulsky