Re: State of Gopher and TLS?

On 25/10/2022 14:44, Josuah Demangeon wrote:
I think it was added because the trick to allow TLS on same port (peek at
the first byte before really reading it) was simple and easy to implement
server-side and has no consequence client-side (not breaking TCP-only).

Could also crash a fragile - yet conforming - server implementation that is not expecting to receive binary garbage from a client, or at least pollute the server's logs with weird, possibly unreadable entries.

Such "tricks" look quite inconsiderate to me, to say the least.

And gopher with TLS still need some strateg for trusting certificates.

Maybe trust on first use is good? A bit like SSH?

Use some other tunneling instead of TLS, then. But in any case, do not call the resulting thing "Gopher", and do not hijack a TCP port that have been in use since 30 years...

Mateusz