Re: Gopher over TLS

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 11:41 PM Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Sebastiaan Deckers once stated:
> FWIW, I drafted a spec of Gopher over TLS. Published the server and client
> libraries and deployed them in production.
>
> https://gitlab.com/commonshost/goth#gopher-over-tls-got-protocol

  Not bad, I like it.  I also would *love* if the existing clients that
attempt TLS over gopher would follow this bit:

        If the TCP/IP socket was successful but the attempt fails without
        receiving a ServerHello message, a GoT client may attempt to connect
        without TLS, treating the connection as plaintext Gopher. This
        failure may be cached for as long as the server's DNS records are
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        valid.
        ^^^^^

There's at least one client out there (I think it's a web-to-gopher proxy)
that attempts to ust TLS *every damn time* it makes a request and frankly,
I'm close to just outright blocking that IP address.  Once a day (the
current TTL for 'gopher.conman.org') isn't bad, but *every single time* is
just rude (in my opinion).

Well... ehh, this is embarrassing. 🙈 Forgot to implement part of my own spec. It's only caching the probe result for 60 seconds.
https://gitlab.com/commonshost/goh/-/blob/v4.2.1/index.js#L159
So sorry about that! Didn't mean to be a bad Gopher.

  -spc (My other pet peeve of gopher clients is the notion that every
        selector starts with a '/' ... )

TIL. Did you notice that behaviour anywhere specifically? Might need to add some tests to my Gopher repos...