Re: good gopher article by Cory Doctorow

Really appreciate you doing that, Paul.  I learned quite a bit; I hadn't
realized that screen-scraping was such a thing in Gopherspace back then.

I recently purchased a DEC vt420 and a DEC vt510 off eBay.  Once I got
it hooked up to a Raspberry Pi and working (turns out there is a lot of
bugginess in modern support for XON/XOFF terminals), of course the first
thing I did was fire up gopher and run it in its natural habitat.  I had
never owned an actual serial terminal before, and only rarely used one
in a library back in the day.

https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10031-resurrecting-ancient-operating-systems-on-debian-raspberry-pi-and-docker

I, uh, may have also tunneled Gopher over long-range low-power LoRa
radios recently....

https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10042-long-range-radios-a-perfect-match-for-unix-protocols-from-the-70s

I tunneled TCP/IP over it.  Ping times around 500ms, throughput around
30Kbps.  It's as if it's 1995 again around here.  (I did do some
optimization and running TCP/IP over PPP instead of AX.25 made some
improvements there later.)

It seems the first thing I want to test on a new link is Gopher.

John