Re: Getting hit hard

> David Griffith wrote:
> > I see a bunch of hits from 116.203.153.95 which is gopher.codevoid.de.
> > Maybe you're getting hit by someone's proxy?
>
> This is me. Please forward me the details if you get offending traffic
> from me.
>
> I'm operating a gopher proxy and I'm currently fighting with a bot
> that misuses my gopher proxy from the tor network. I tried a couple of
> strategies to get it off my lawn without success. I've disabled tor
> currently.

I've had similar issues with web bots and the filter list on the Floodgap
proxy is about a mile long (people seem to think running Wget on it is
the best way to archive a particular gopher site). I know there's still some
disagreement about whether web spiders should be allowed to index through
gopher proxies or not (I fall firmly on the no side), but I think all proxy
operators agree we don't want to be DDoS vectors.

-- Don't be humble ... you're not that great. -- Golda Meir -------------------