Re: Dealing with web bots

17.11.2019, 12:16, "AB" <netpassport89@sdf.org>:

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 01:21:12AM -0800, Bradley D. Thornton wrote:

 On 11/16/2019 2:59 PM, Sean Conner wrote:

 > After some thought, I decided to detect these requests (not hard), and
 > return an actual HTTP response, and for that, I choose 418 "I'm a teapot"
 >
 > Has anyone else noticed web bots making web requests? How do others deal
 > with it? I'm curious.
 >
 > -spc
 >
 > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_a_Little_Teapot

 DENY in my firewalls from those IPs to port 70.

 I like that teapot thing. Another good one would be: "I like trains"
 accompanied by the theme song to Pettycoat Junction. Or maybe just serve up
 RFC-2324 as an html document.

 I'm also interested in a clever method to thwart access by any web proxy
 gateways, with a similarly comedic tone that yields useless results. I still
 think that if someone wants to browse gopherspace then they should use a
 gopher-enabled client and not an html portal.

 -- Bradley D. Thornton Manager Network Services http://NorthTech.US TEL:
 +1.310.421.8268

That proxy defeat seems a bit mean-spirited and exclusionary. When I want to
share Gopher content, most of my friends don't have a Gopher client so I send
them a proxy link. I know I certainly wouldn't download one (especially some of
the mobile apps) just to see one item I may or may not appreciate. If we want
Gopher to continue to grow and not stagnate, we can't act like HTML and Port 80
are the enemy: most people learn about Gopher from the Web.

--netpassport89@sdf.org

Also wanted to throw out there that I use my gopher -> http proxy to surf gopher from Palm OS devices which do not have a native client. At the end of the day, a public gopher server is still public. I too hate the web, but the things I hate about the web bear no resemblance to gopher-like content. With the gate-keeping of the web being what it is, I do not see search engines serving up gopher -> http proxy results for anything other than a very small partial percent of search queries. Most people use social media and aggregators almost exclusively. IMHO this is a nonissue.

--
Nathaniel Leveck
gopher://1436.ninja