Re: Dealing with web bots

On 11/16/2019 2:59 PM, Sean Conner wrote:

>   After some thought, I decided to detect these requests (not hard), and
> return an actual HTTP response, and for that, I choose 418 "I'm a teapot"
>
>   Has anyone else noticed web bots making web requests?  How do others deal
> with it?  I'm curious.
>
>   -spc
>
> [1]	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_a_Little_Teapot

DENY in my firewalls from those IPs to port 70.

I like that teapot thing. Another good one would be: "I like trains"
accompanied by the theme song to Pettycoat Junction. Or maybe just serve
up RFC-2324 as an html document.

I'm also interested in a clever method to thwart access by any web proxy
gateways, with a similarly comedic tone that yields useless results. I
still think that if someone wants to browse gopherspace then they should
use a gopher-enabled client and not an html portal.

--
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services