Re: Questions about URLs for Gopher search items

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 07:07:37PM -0400, Sean Conner wrote:

>   I'm not sure of the answer to this.  Having written both a generic URL
> parser [1] and a separate one just for gopher [2] I did wonder why RFC-4266
> never used a URL query string.

In addition to the ease of implementation you mention, it was pointed
out in an earlier post that RFC 1436 quite clearly permits ?
characters in selectors.  Although, now that I think about it, perhaps
that's not necessarily a problem.  You know RFC 3986 much better than
I do, but I suspect maybe ?s are permitted in paths if they are hex
encoded?  If so, it actually *would* have been possible for RFC 4266
to just codify what Lynx was already doing.

>   I can see the use of:
>
> 	gopher://example.com/7search
> 	gopher://example.com/1search%09term
>
> (that is, use '7' when there's no search term, but '1' othewise).

That was my initial thought too, but see my more recent posts to
this list.  I now think that using anything other than a 7 along with
a %09 and a search term is inconsistent with a strict reading of RFC
1436.

Cheers,
Solderpunk