Re: Who is legacy@legacy.ventures?

On 2018-03-21 15:08 +0000, Matt Owen wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> The MX records for legacy.ventures are:
>
> legacy.ventures MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = smtp.secureserver.net
> legacy.ventures MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mailstore1.secureserver.net
>
> According to WHOIS, 'secureserver.net' belongs to GoDaddy. There is also a Webmail interface on: https://sso.secureserver.net/?app=email&realm=pass
>
> ..and as previously discussed;
>
> Address:  40.92.3.27
> Name:     mail-oln040092003027.outbound.protection.outlook.com
>
> So, what we have here is:
>
> 1. Posts are sent to the list
> 2. List sends post to all subscribers
> 3. SOMEONE who is using outlook.com (but not necessarily having a @outlook.com email address, it could be @hotmail.com, or a personal domain etc.), has set their mails to be forwarded to 'legacy@legacy.ventures'.
> 4. The MTA at smtp.secureserver.net is refusing the email, because quite rightly, outlook.com (40.92.3.27) is not an authoritative sender for *our* email addresses.
>
> I'm guessing, that smtp.secureserver.net, is reverse checking the
> From: address in the email headers, which in the case of this list, is
> the actual sender, not the list-address. Further guessing, this is
> GoDaddy enforcing strong anti-spam techniques.

Several things are most likely broken. I don't believe this is the right
field to check in this occasion. Perhaps the forwarder stripped too many
headers. The address to blame may be googlelegacy@outlook.com (the
failure messages include "Resent-From: <googlelegacy@outlook.com>,
...").

> Crazy idea... but has anyone actually emailed 'legacy@legacy.ventures'
> directly, and asked them to fix their forwarder?

I wonder if the forwarder that needs to be fixed is located in One
Microsoft Way...

--
Nuno Silva