Re: gopher2html, a possible way to browse the gopherspace via w3m

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:05:53AM +0100, Leonardo Taccari wrote:
> Hello to the entire Gopher community!
> As an exercise in reading RFC 1436 I have written a simple AWK
> script that I use to browse the gopherspace via w3m.
>
> Under the hood it uses siteconf (~/.w3m/siteconf by default) and
> local CGI scripts support in w3m (if you would like to learn more
> about them please give a look to README.siteconf and the w3m manual
> provided by w3m).
>
> siteconf permits to rewrite URLs so all gopher:// URLs are
> passed to the gopher2html.cgi local CGI script invoked by w3m.
> gopher2html.cgi just uses curl and then pipe the response to
> gopher2html that renders it in HTML.
>
> Code and instructions on how to use it are in:
>
>  <https://bitbucket.org/iamleot/gopher2html>
>
> (or, if you prefer you can just `hg clone' that URL).
>
> A mandatory "screenshot":
>
> | % w3m -dump gopher://gopherproject.org
> |
> |    Welcome to Gopherproject.org!
> |
> | You are entering the gopherspace. All visitors are welcome to come here,
> | settle down and become an inhabitant of the gopherspace too.
> |
> | Here is a little introduction for you newcomers:
> | Getting started with gopher. (floodgap)
> |
> | The fast links to get further in gopherspace:
> | The Gopher Lawn (categorized links)
> | [                    ][SUBMIT]
> | Search using contrition (forthworks)
> |
> | Common centers of gopher activity:
> | sdf.org
> | floodgap.com
> | quux.org
> | bitreich.org
> |
> | Do you want to meet the community?
> | Join #gopherproject on freenode.org.
> | Discuss with us at gopher-project@other.debian.org
> |
> | Do you want to settle down in gopherspace?
> | Ask the nice people at sdf.org for a gopherhole.
> | Or setup your own gopher server. Just ask the community for how to.
> |

> I have used it in the last months on NetBSD machines but it should work
> on every Unix-like systems.
>

> Feel free to contact me if you find any problems/bugs and/or if
> some features are missing (there are some TODOs at the moment, e.g.
> regarding error handling but for most daily use to browse gopherspace
> it should work)!
>

> While here thank you very much for this nice community and keep up the
> good work!

There is an issue in:

	type == TYPE["html"] {
		url = substr(selector, 5)	# strip `URL:' prefix
		printf("<a href='%s'>%s</a>\n", url, encode(user_name))
	}

	the url should be escaped too, it can be a security issue.
	same in "picture" and urlize().

The encode() function should escape " (to &quot;) and ' (to &#39;).

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo