Re: [gopher] Future of mailing list

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:57:55 +0300, Kim Holviala wrote:
> Offtopic, but I don't get why all the cool kids today complain how hard
> it is to run a mailserver and get the mail "accepted" by the big
> players. It's not, I need to play with the spamfilter settings like
> twice a year and that's about it.

Same here. I run two mail servers with several domains... The initial
setup took some time, yes (esp. when it came to neat LDAP integration,
greylisting, RBL and such), but then it has been maintenance-free since
many years now.

> The big problem about mail2news gateways is
> spam - since it's all automated there's not much anyone can do about
> spam going back and forth

Is it, really? The "mail" side is subscription-driven, so spammers do not
enter - and if they manage to, they can get kicked out easily. And the
USENET side is not spam-infested at all, if you look at the last decade
of comp.infosystems.gopher.

Mateusz
mailing lists suck, right? come see us at comp.infosystems.gopher
why? gopher://gopher.viste.fr/0whyusenet.txt