Re: [gopher] Future of mailing list

On 19 Oct 2017, at 10:24, Mateusz Viste <mateusz@nospam.viste.fr> wrote

> Running a mailserver is so... usual. I'd really expect more from you,
> Kim ;-)

Yeah yeah :-D

Offtopic, but I don't get why all the cool kids today complain how hard it is to run a mailserver and get the mail "accepted" by the big players. It's not, I need to play with the spamfilter settings like twice a year and that's about it.

> What about running a news2mail gateway that would send messages from a
> virtual mailing list to comp.infosystems.gopher back and forth?

That's a really good idea - but unfortunately I don't have a NNTP feed anywhere anymore. I could probably get one though if I really searched for one (eternal-september etc, my firewalls are 100% under my control and 119/TCP is not blocked). The big problem about mail2news gateways is spam - since it's all automated there's not much anyone can do about spam going back and forth (although it should be possible to filter mails with spamassassin).

> access, spam lovers can use their outlook thing, and the list gets a
> reliable archiving system for free.

Yeah, this sounds like a good idea (in theory - in practice everything sounds good in theory :-D).

- Kim