Re: [gopher] Future of this list, etc.

James writes:

> And what do clients connect to? a peer or some central server?

Clients connect to a news server.

usenet is made up of news servers that exchange articles.

There is no central server in usenet.

>> Is NNTP designed to be heterogenous and distributed?

Yes, and usenet is.

In the old days mainly universities ran news servers. Then ISPs.
Nowadays there are less news servers left.

Some people even run their own private news servers:

 · https://www.pnx.dk/

(Full disclosure: I was one of the people who started PNX. I quit usenet
in 2011.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I pragmatically turn my whims into principles!"             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk