[gopher] OverbiteFF and the HTTP Referrer header

If you click an HTTP link from gopherspace and get directed into the world wild Web, does Firefox loyally give a referrer starting with Gopher://?  I'm curious how some analytical software reacts to this, and other tracking software that depends on checking the referrer header.

On a side note, does Google still offer API access into their search engine?  I wouldn't mind making a Google gopher proxy in gopherspace.  So you can search google from the comfort of gopherspace and seamlessly open text files, PDFs, images, and perhaps html2text conversions of page results.  This could potentially enable a way to browse the HTTP space with the full protection of a gopher client... so no ads, noJS, just pure informational content.  We could call this tool "Betty".  So then we'll finally have the entire gang.  Archie for FTP, Veronica for Gopher, and finally Betty for HTTP. :)

Wonder what Google would think if we used their search API to create a gopher proxy for their search service.  It might even catch on as a way to search online safely without needing to use pesky adblockers and NoScript browser plugins.  Mind you, not all HTML pages can be easily converted to pure text, such as websites that unfortunately hugely depend on _javascript_.

Thoughts, suggestions, willing to contribute?

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv - the most secure mobile device - via the TELUS Network