Re: [gopher] Gopher-Project Digest, Vol 69, Issue 26

I have seen once a picture of somewhere in Africa, a hill in the middle of nowhere, that was very popular. And a huge boost for the local economy. This because you could get there a telephone signal if you bind you phone on a stick and hold it up.

Interesting that things can be so similar sometimes in the first and third world.

Sorry for the top posting, tablet.

Op 24-jan.-2016 19:52 schreef "巫白雪" <wubaixue@gmail.com>:
>I am not aware of using SMS in USA. ......

Hah, interesting.  That is a stark difference from here in the USA.  Mobile services in general are grotesquely overpriced, putting them out of reach for many people.  Data is usually tightly metered.  Many people (including me) do not have smart phones, can not get nor afford restrictive mobile contracts, or otherwise live in areas where there is no data service.

My old school cell phone, for example, barely gets service in my town.  Despite costing 30cents a pop, SMS is thus generally how I talk to family and friends via cell.  My new mobile hotspot can get very slow 3G service when I pack it in a home brew waveguide (a tin can), raise it on a 7 meter tall mast, and point it to the nearest highway.  I use ham radio to send email sometimes.  And this state of affairs is considered *very high tech* for most of my neighbours...  So there is your unfiltered USA baseline.

Most techies in the USA seem content to merely make more byte-bloated smart phone apps for the wealthier Americans who can afford unlimited internet access in their bandwidth rich cities without regard for these realities.  Elegant and practical solutions which could address the "digital divide" like Gopher are derided by the cool kids in Silicon Valley as "laughably old", apparently because there is no money in basic infrastructure and wider infotech support.  So, God bless mother Russia.