Re: [gopher] Gopher+ support in the community

I was thinking of urwid, but I don't feel it's the perfect match for this type of application. It would require a good amount of work to use urwid for such a simple client. I am planning on using the rather awesome and lightweight "npyscreen" library. It's seems like a match made in heaven. It supports lists(gopher menus) easily, and can easily display prompts from the user in a dialogue box. It also makes it a snap to create context menus(and popup menus in general). It even supports easy to create and manage forms(great for ASK) and for general preference screens/bookmark management. I've built a documentation viewer in it before, which had a nested menu system and was able to show text documents with ease and minimal code. Overall, I see npyscreen and gopher like a marriage made in heaven.

http://npyscreen.readthedocs.org/

Check out some of their examples and tell me it won't work. :) That's why I noted I could release an initial client this evening due to how easy and powerful this library is. Urwid is great, I made a few apps in it, but it used complex layouts to display the screen. This made debugging a tad difficult, as it took some time to make an app look and function perfectly. Telnet into my profile server to see that urwid app: telnet://veroneau.net:5199

Kevin.