Re: [gopher] History and future of "the gopher project"

Op 11-01-15 om 11:21 schreef Mateusz Viste:

About this - why are we all using this mailing list in the first place?
There have been a dedicated nntp group for gopher since forever:
comp.infosystems.gopher but surprisingly, this mailing list is much more
active.

I did not knew that. But that a mailing list is more popular then usenet is no surprise. You have already have to look at something as gopher to find an internet service that is more obscure at present then usenet.

Me personally, I am not a huge fan of mailing lists, and I prefer
newsgroups, seeing them as a much more efficient and superior
communication tool than forwarding mails to xxxxxx people around the world.

Also a fan of NNTP, but a (mailman) mailinglist is at least a lot better then just sending e-mails with a lot of people in TO or CC.

So why do people use mailing lists (and the gopher mailing list in
particular), instead of NNTP? Is it because it's more convenient for
some to use a mailing list than it is to configure a nntp client? (note,
that Thunderbird does both very well).

My ISP, one of the two largest of the country in Belgium, does not offer usenet anymore. I know only one who still does it, a very small one.

I have a free account for usenet from these people; text only, but you have to ask for an account.
http://news.albasani.net/info/imprint.html.en

If that's the reason, then maybe we could imagine having some kind of
gateway that would duplicate content from this mailing list to
comp.infosystems.gopher, and vice-versa, so everyone could use what he
likes most? Or, a step even further, replace this list with a mail
gateway to comp.infosystems.gopher ?

This mailinglist is using mailman. I have never used that function of mailman but mailman supports the function to act as an two way gateway to a usenet-group.

All postings to this list can be posted automaticly to usenet. And, optionally, postings to a specific usenet-group can also be send to this mailing lists. (open door for spam I believe)

So if there is the wish the technical means seem to be present. It is only a matter of enabling the function in the control panel of mailman of this list.

Walter