Re: [gopher] Hello, world!

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM, James Mills
<prologic@shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Nick Matavka
> <n.theodore.matavka.files@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, world!
>

> Hello Nick!
>

>> Many years ago, I collaborated with several people (I have forgotten all
>> their names, but one of the contributors writes under the name Barana) on
>> this mailing list about the future of Gopher.  I eventually took the
>> initiative in creating a rough draft for a new Gopher RFC, and invited
>> comment, but no consensus was reached.  I believe that all the new features
>> Gopher has *mandate* an RFC; Gopher+, caps files, etc etc etc.
>>
>> I now believe that consensus *can* be established and therefore I
>> re-submit the same link.  Please edit it and comment to the best of your
>> ability.  I hope to actually submit this in the near future.
>>
>> http://piratepad.net/gopher
>

> I haven't quite read through this thoroughly yet. (Also I'm brand spanking
> new go Gopher!)
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> Is this a combination of the old Gopher protocol with
> inclusion of some of the GOpher+ ideas?
See the "Goals" section of the document for details, but it's
primarily intended to codify current practices and ad-hoc standards.
If it's not currently in common use, it doesn't belong in the
standard. For example, it covers:
* Several gophertypes not in the original RFC, including the
ubiquitous 'i' type.
* caps.txt and robots.txt files
* What clients and servers should do with the trailing fullstop on
menus and other text types (this still has some holes, I think--edits
welcome!)
* And more!

It is *not* intended to add even more features, unless they are
already in common use.

--
The views expressed above are exclusively mine, if anyone's.