[gopher] Running a MUD, was: Re: cgod - a new prototype gopher daemon

Hi Folks,

getting back once more on the MUD thing. I'm not sure whether or not we
stray tooo far from this lists topic, so this could well be taken
off-list as well.

Am Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:03:40 -0700
schrieb Kevin Veroneau <kevin@veroneau.net>:

> On the note about technology from 20 years ago...  Who'd be up for
> running an old fashioned MUD with me?  I'd love to recreate the
> original MUD experience, but I never had the chance to play those
> original MUDs, I was only 10 and Internet/BBS connections were only
> for the rich kids.  The MU*'s I'm seeing/playing nowadays are mostly
> just people using them like an IRC chat, socializing rather than
> actually playing a text-based online game.  Any thoughts opinions on
> this one?  We could call it, wait for it.... GopherMUD!  It doesn't
> HAVE to be gopher related/themed, or even be named that.  I'm totally
> up for theme and name discussions.  Although it should be in the
> fantasy genre, as the original MUDs were.

I do take it that you actually intend to create yet another MUD. I
certainly don't want to discourage you as I think that this can be a
very rewarding experience. I'd just rather point out that - depending
on where you start from - it might actually take quite a long while
until a newly created MUD is actually barely playable, not even talking
about being fun to play or nicely decorated with extensive decriptions.

The starting point I mentioned above includes things like:
* MUD driver - the actual software hosting the playable world
* MUD library - some sort of API, providing some higher-level
  functionality for the actual MUD code
* existing templates for rooms, non-player characters, quests
* Knowledge of the language involved

Essentially, the MUD driver determines which language to use for all
the rest. Unless you want to roll your own, nearly all I have heard of
implement some dialect of LPC, which I believe has been some
Object-oriented C-like language.

As mentioned above, I have no intention to discourage you, and myself
would be more than willing to be part of the fun. Setting up a server
should be no problem, as a MUD is rather inexpensive in terms of
computing unless big numbers (users, rooms, etc.) are to be taken care
of.

Best regards,
Florian