Re: [gopher] Hello Gopher Project

afaik gopher has no provision for charset declaration. But I don't think that such provision is necessary, I'd say that it would be best for any gopher client to assume utf-8, since it's both universal and backward compatible with low ascii... overbite uses iso8859-1 by default (or is it firefox that controls that?) it might be a nice improvement to turn overbite into utf8 by default (or make it configurable at least).

Mateusz

On December 16, 2014 1:32:10 AM GMT+01:00, Matt Lewandowsky <matt@greenviolet.net> wrote:
>Relatedly, is there a way to specify character encoding? This
>conversation has reminded me that being limited to ASCII < 128
>(effectively) is really not fun.
>
>As a great example, go poke around Gopherpedia in most clients. :(
>
>If there's going to be any extension for text "smarts", I'd argue that
>is more important than supporting Markdown right now. (In any case,
>it's not worthwhile until Common Mark figures out if their "fork to
>rule them all" is going to actually reduce fragmentation.)
>
>‎Just my 2 cents (I resisted using non-ASCII there…),
>
>Matt
>
>--
>Matt Lewandowsky
>Big Geek
>Greenviolet
>matt@greenviolet.net http://www.greenviolet.net
>+1 415 578 5782 (US) +44 844 484 8254 (UK)
>Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Mateusz
--
Sent from mobile mail.