Re: [gopher] Hello Gopher Project

On 2014-12-15 10:41, Mateusz Viste wrote:
> On 12/15/2014 10:17 AM, James Mills wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Mateusz Viste <mateusz@viste.fr
> > <mailto:mateusz@viste.fr>> wrote:
> >
> >     About markdown: I am not sure that multiplication of gopher types is
> >     a good thing, as it's already somewhat a mess right now. The main
> >     question would be probably to know what are the benefits of
> >     markdown? If I understood correctly, it's a text format that brings
> >     simplistic 'rich' content with a set of font styles. As you noted,
> >     some people (me included) are using html on gopher, which already
> >     provides such capabilities. It also allows to use links, and embed
> >     images (does markdown allow this?). html is supported by virtually
> >     anything nowadays, that provides some graphical rendering... So I am
> >     not convinced markdown support would bring any significant
> >     improvements to gopher. Nonetheless, I'll listen to other's
> >     arguments with much interest.
> >

> > How do you do this specifically?
> >
> > The only viable Browser client I know of is Firefox with Overbite.
> >
> > It's the the sheer lack of "Browser" support for Gopher that
> > I would say Markdown rendering has a place in the context
> > of new/improved clients (e.g: The update Kevin made for
> > Overbite for Android).
>
> The md upgrade of Overbite for Android, while very respectable, might
> not be the best example of 'why md could be relevant', since Overbite
> was already supporting html rendering, giving much more flexibility than
> what md can provide.
>
> What kind of browser do we have out there, that do not support html, but
> could be realistically upgraded with markdown support other than
> 'display it as text'?

If github's markdown is close to plain text (at least this is the idea
I've got from the couple times I touched markdown documents), I'd rather
serve it as plain text than make markdown files unreadable by clients
which can't render markdown.

I've got the idea (but I may be wrong here) that there were several, not
exactly compatible, versions of markdown.

--
Nuno Silva
Helsinki, Finland