Re: [gopher] Joining in: I'm the maintainer/host of Gopher Proxy

On 09/13/2013 01:33 AM, Kim Holviala wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2013, at 16:18, Evert Meulie <evert@meulie.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> http://gopherproxy.org/ & http://gopherproxy.meulie.net/ allows Gopher content to be viewed in any web browser, by converting Gopher content into web pages as you request it.
>>
>> And yes, currently there is little/no means in place to keep bots & search engines out.
>> I've been reading a bit what has been written here in other threads on this subject, and will chime in with my 2¢ soon.
>
> Personally I don't mind that Google and others crawl through my gopher resources, but I think quite a lot of people here object to that. I think the easiest way would be to just have a robots.txt to completely block all spidering.

I'm one of those who object - not to gopher spiders indexing resources,
but any access to my resources via http. If I wanted web browsers using
hypertext transfer protocol browsing through my resources then I would
put them on webservers - which I already do for other resources.

This has come up before, and I was shot down by the community for
considering the blocking of all proxy servers. Many people here felt
that any form of indexing or access to gopher resources by any foreign
protocol was better than not being indexed or accessed at all, and I
disagree, at least where my resources are concerned, especially since I
maintain unique content only available via gopher:// protocol.

It's not for me to decide what others opinions are, but I for one am of
the mind that if someone can surf gopher resources via http:// then
there is no point in gopher:// at all.

As far as robots.txt is concerned, my feeling is that this is a http
standard, and not a gopher standard, so there should be some other way
to limit indexing of gopher resources for those who choose to do so. I
do not choose to block such indexing, and welcome it, just not via a
means that is only going to lead to an URL in google that starts with an
http:// instead of a gopher://

If those come up as dead links because the protocol is not supported by
some particular client then so be it. Perhaps Google could put a note
saying that the browser needs to be capable of accessing gopher sites or
that the user needs a plugin - I dunno, and don't much care.

I can say this. There are several protocols as URIs which don't get
indexed or returned as search strings because some, or many browsers do
not yet, or no longer, support those protocols. Here's a list of some
URIs where the protocols may or may not be supported depending upon
whether certain software is installed on the client machine, or plugins
have been installed, or support is inherent in some or most browsers:

gopher://
ftp://
skype://
http://
https://

Again, I'm not interested in ANYONE accessing any of my gopher resources
via an http to gopher proxy. They can access those resources with a
client that is gopher capable or not access them at all - this is the
only way that gopher will have any relevance.

I see no relevance in gopher protocol if it's just going to be accessed
via hypertext transfer protocol anyway - therefore, I am now more
inclined to consider blocking http to gopher proxy servers at this time
than I ever have been.

Going back to that thread now, here is the segue, in this particular
posting, that I promised to be forthcoming a few moments ago...

> Anyway - great work - I really like the way gopherproxy.org works.

Hey I think these are great services too, and applaud the effort and
level of functionality - I just think it's wrong to let gopher fall
further into obscurity because it can be relegated into insignificance
by browswers (supposed to be multi-protocol clients) that do not have
gopher support, and search engines that will not provide search results
as gopher:// URIs.

> - Kim

- --
Bradley D. Thornton