Subject: Re: [gopher] Gopher History Now Archived at ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:45:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Susan L Rojo <srojo@stanford.edu>
To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>

Hi John,

Thank you for the thoughtful response. Your points regarding the physical/digital issue are well taken and you are not the first to raise them. We are slowly making changes to reflect this issue but at this point the deed modified as it is should suffice for our purposes. Let me clarify points below.

I am uncertain that I can represent that I am the owner of this data.
We are declaring you the owner of the collection, not necessarily the owner from a content or copyright sense. Similarly, if you were donating your collection of Beatles memorabilia, we know you aren't the copyright holder or the only one to own a pair of Mickey ears.

Could I simply sign something authorizing Stanford to archive, preserve, etc. the collection, so far as I have the power to do?
The Deed is the "simple" sign over for Stanford. We need to show the provenance of the collection and the deed is the way we do that. It has more legalese than is necessary for your collection but is our mechanism for starting the process. You aren't taking responsibility for every bit of data included and due to the nature of the collection Stanford understands that you did not create the data you have curated.

If Stanford intends to use its ownership of the material to remove the ability of others to access it through other means, this is not an overall benefit to the community.

In no way would Stanford try to stop others from using the data. The point of Stanford having a copy is to be sure a copy is saved "forever" for use specifically by students and faculty and also by the general population. Clause 5 clarifies that at this point Stanford is committing to preserving the data but will not be able to provide access to it until the point that it has been "processed." Some people expect that they give a donation to Stanford and can find it in the library catalog a week or two later. It takes longer than that and Stanford wants to be sure the donor understands this. In the case of the Gopher collection, there are multiple sources for access and this isn't an issue. We are working on an access mechanism for our digital repository but that is likely some time off.

I hope I have addressed your concerns and that you are willing to move forward. I don't really have flexibility for changing the document more than I have to account for the nature of the collection. It is more of a formality in this case since, like you said, the data is readily available on the internet. It just happens to be a formality I have to follow.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,

~Susan