Re: [gopher] Clients, capabilities and discoverability

> > Still no progress, but I'll try installing the Oracle/Sun tools. (I just
> > hope that the tools (a 32-bit binary package) don't clash with the 64
> > bits JRE...) That should allow me to compile J2ME code, and I think it
> > also has an emulator.
>
> The tools clashed, and that's why I didn't test it earlier.  But I've
> managed to test it: I had to change a couple lines to prevent it from
> reading only part of the menu, but it now works perfectly on the
> emulator from Sun.
>
> While testing it, I even added some stuff: a "Reload" button and fields
> to specify selectors in the "Go to" window. (I sent those to Felix, if
> someone wants it, just ask me and I'll send it privately, unless you
> guys want it here and say it's okay to post some java code here.)

I'd like to see it if it's cool with John. Speaking of Java, I'm working on
the next Overbite Android. Downloading is actually more complex than I thought
owing to setting up background threads. I'm actually implementing a whole
download service, which seems like terrible overengineering, but people
expect background loads on Android and Overbite Android should do that too.
I fixed most of the other bugs and made the page renderer more efficient also.

Getting back to capabilities, I put a caps.txt file on floodgap and I'm
going to implement a little proof of concept in the public gopher proxy for
comments before I start spreading the implementation into other Overbite
clients. If you want to see the proposed file, you can see it at

	gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/caps.txt

but a fetch for "caps.txt" as the selector should probably be the standard,
which will work on pretty much any filesystem, I should think (and on
those that don't, a pseudoselector).

-- If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't I be happier? -----------------------------