[gopher] Re: New Gopher server and client

Mateusz Viste wrote:
> I would say it depends of personal tastes :-)
>
> I understand that you will convert text files to rtf/pdf/html....   What charset will you declare in these documents? Will you analyze each file to determine what charset could possibly be used (UTF8, Latin2, ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-2, KOI8, etc..."? If not, then I see no point in that...
>
> What if you get a PDF file? Will you convert it to html and text, to allow multiview?
>
> What will you do with graphic files? Will you convert any file to bmp, jpeg, png, gif, etc...? What if one graphic file contains alpha channels, and the destination format doesn't handle transparency (png -> jpg)?
>
> Multiview is a nice (well, at least "interesting") feature. However, to be really efficient it has to be done by the administrator, which sets up different versions of a document. Such settings are much work for an admin, compared to just putting a bunch of text files on the server... ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Mateusz Viste

Hello

While I do understand Mateusz' concerns, I think that there are
reasonable defaults.

One other possibility is using make (I would use mk
<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/mk.html> (you can get sources for
UNIX at <http://swtch.com/plan9port/unix/>) to automate it. I suppose
this could be done by the Gopher(+) server just in time, but as they
say, disk-space is cheap.

In the end if you do not want Gopher+, or this feature of it in
particular, do not use it.
--
Benn Newman