[gopher] Re: new client

ok, let's get these questions answered!

1) yes, you would need the .NET framework installed on your system. it's OEM
now, so most new systems will have it automatically. Sorry about that.

2) The advantage of doing in in vb .net, other than that's what i know to
code in, i feel is the extended text handling and the ease of use of network
sockets.  It leverages a great deal of processing power.  For example,
there's a split function, that will split a string into an array based on
what the delimeter is. this makes handling gopher returned data easy: i
split it once for the crlf's at the end of the line to get each line, then
split each line by tab characters to get the type, description, selector,
remote address, and port for that item.  I think the code to generate the
displayed data is a total of maybe 25 lines.

3) I support all the mapping types in rfc 1436, an the "i"  and "h"
descriptors. tho i suspect the CSO entry descriptor is long since obsoleted.

4) my opinion on gopher+ is that if enough holes support it, i'll add the
capability in.  i'm thinking its not widely used, so i might just have my
client ignore any gopher+ extras. again, not something i've ever seen out
there working.

5) VR gopherspace isn't something that fills in my vision of HoleDweller.  I
just want a nice standard looking gopher client, 32-bit native Windows
application.  I've actually sort of based it on an old client i found that
was written for win 3.1, that i managed to get to work.

6) Audio, pictures, files...i'm not sure how i'll handle those. perhaps i'll
put a picture viewer and audio player in the client itself - however, doing
this might take some doing as i've never dealt with steaming audio before,
and in order for a picture to display it technically gets downloaded to your
system anyway. URL entries (h types) will call the default browser and ask
it to open to that address, and the telnet descriptors will call telnet to
open those resources.
so the long and short of that question is, i'll probably let the built-in
windows applications designed to handle them do the work.

thanks for the feedback.

trevor