Re: Officially maintaining apt-listchanges

Hi,

(sry, I am a bit out of it for the moment for personal reasons,
 so my reaction times are even more abyssal than usual)

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 05:08:13AM -0500, Brian Thompson wrote:
> then, I uploaded a new version, 3.25, which was accepted and pushed into the FTP
> master in the experimental branch.

Cool!

The salsa repo includes the commits, but not a tag for 3.25 so
far, could you please push that tag (I forget that most of the time as
well…).

We also talked about the ability of a hook to tell apt to abort its
current operation without showing scary "hook failed with exit code …".

Could you report a bug for this against apt so we might not forget about
it? We should discuss this after the freeze, perhaps in a bit more
general terms – if we could e.g. replace the current hooks with
something similar to the json hooks apt itself got recently.

> I'd like to join the Apt team as David suggested.  I have already read the Apt
> team's wiki, which I also made a change to by adding apt-listchanges to the
> "Help needed" section.  I am also going to add my name to "Current Team Roles".

(Huh, that page really needs some updates… its not *entirely* wrong,
 but a bit dated non the less…)

> If there are any other tools or sites the team uses that I should know about
> (besides what's listed on the wiki), please let me know.

Na, mailinglist and IRC, that is about what we have as we aren't that
large a team to require more (apart from all the things coming for
'free' for every package anyhow like bugtracker and stuff).

> I'm looking forward to working with you all!

I guess the main remaining question is how you wanna join – I see
various options to choose from and benefits and drawbacks for them all
depending on your preferences mostly.

For example: apt-listchanges is on salsa in the debian/ namespace, which
is more open to external contributions by convention, while moving it to
the apt-team/ namespace restricts more who can "just come by and commit
to the main branch" so to speak. Others have it in their own namespace.

Another example would be: Maintainer: you or Maintainer: deity@
Uploader: you. The later sends bugreports to the mailinglist while the
former sends it only to you. Conventionally if I prepared an upload in
the former it would be a NMU (non-maintainer upload) while in the later
I could call it a team upload (which have other rules than NMUs).

apt-python and apt-file are examples for packages which are tightly
integrated (we even have notifications on IRC for bugs or vcs actions
for them) while libapt-pkg-perl and apt-listbugs are like third cousins,
you know they exist and you are technically somewhat related, but if you
aren't royalty (and even then), nobody really cares, we just meet at
extended family gatherings once in a while (in Debian/APT terms that
might be an API-breaking transition if I think about it a bit…).

(Just to reiterate: Neither is wrong.)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies