Re: Status of cupt

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 01:23:22AM +0000, nerdymutualist wrote:
> I've been using cupt and have found it to be a lot better than APT. But it seems like it is abandoned? There hasn't been a commit on GitHub in more than a year. If it is abandoned, I would like to volunteer to take up maintenance of this program (I've already made a few changes and bugfixes locally).

You will want to talk to its creator and maintainer, who left this
team 12 years ago (before I joined a few months later).

cupt had a user mailinglist on alioth (according to its wiki page), but
a quick look in the system picking up the alioth pieces suggests there
exists only a developer list now – albeit a bit inactive:

In any case, this list here isn't the right one to talk about cupt. Its
focus is naturally on the tools and libraries this team maintains rather
than its "competitors" (= we are not in a real fight of course).

We do talk here about more general changes to the APT ecosystem as well
though, so feel free to subscribe and contribute cupts perspective on
things like repository format changes and such.

You can also join #debian-apt on IRC – the aptitude folks are e.g.
there, too.

On a more general note: We recently "backported" patterns, previously an
aptitude-only feature, to libapt. Many features cupt declares as
features are nowadays available in apt, too, like pinning by source
package/shellglobs or a satisfy subcommand. There are probably other
things which could/should be added and/or backported. On the other hand,
having cupt support EDSP could turn out to be fun (and Multi-Arch… I am
a 110% biased, but M-A is really important…).

Anyway, although I am sad you aren't considering improving apt instead,
I wish you good luck & fun on your cupt quest!

Best regards

David Kalnischkies