Re: Mention depends, rdepends & policy subcommands in apt man page

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 05:47:38AM +0000, Vipul wrote:
> as **apt** command. I guess, this is a intentional omission in man page
> and help menu. I wonder, isn't it good idea to mention these subcommands

apt -h:
| Most used commands:

man apt:
| Much like apt itself, its manpage is intended as an end user interface
| and as such only mentions the most used commands and options partly to
| not duplicate information in multiple places and partly to avoid
| overwhelming readers with a cornucopia of options and details.

So, yes, it is an intended omission.

There might be a point in at least mentioning the other commands in the
manpage and refer to the manpages they are described in like:
depends, rdepends, policy, …: apt-cache(8)
source, download, changelog, build-dep, …: apt-get(8)
but I am not sure that would actually help anyone as we are already
pointing to these manpages anyhow.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies