Virtual Package installation priority

If there is a better place to ask this, please point me there.

Hello!  I would like to define a set of packages that exclusively satisfy a virtual package dependency of my own.  I have done some searching but guessing from the generalness of my terms, am unable to find out how to define, among the set of packages which should be installed by default.  I have found the following paragraph in the debian-policy guide but due to it's overly self-referential prose, I do not understand what it is that I need to do to define one of my packages as the default to satisfy the dependency:

"To specify which of a set of real packages should be the default to satisfy a particular dependency on a virtual package, list the real package as an alternative before the virtual one."

All I'm really looking for is an example...

TIA and Kind Regards,
ken