Re: apt-pinning information

On 2018-01-11 12:57:02 +0100, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 02:33:03PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > i.e. if you want to match all packages of any architecture, *:* is
> > > OK just like *:any, but * alone is not.
> >
> > "*" alone seems to be treated as "*:native" (??and  "*:all"??)
> > architectures.  (apt-pkg/cacheset.cc)
>
> This code isn't involved in preferences parsing directly. Anyhow,
> a simple test would have shown that the premise of the bugreport is
> wrong, e.g.
>
> | Package: *
> | Pin: release n=experimental
> | Pin-Priority: 100
>
> ALL packages (regardless of architecture) from experimental get pinned
> to 100. This is what the manpage calls a "generic-form". This is the
> same behaviour we had before and after MultiArch. Adapting documentation
> for this is thus not needed. Especially not in the suggested form as
> this will confuse users. If the first line is NOT "Package: *", even if
> you write "Package: *:*" this is NOT the "generic-form" but the
> "specific-form". The manpage seems pretty clear about that as well.

Without additions related to multiarch, the apt_preferences(5) man page
is not clear yet. Indeed, this is regardless of architecture for the
generic form, but not for the specific form, where one needs ":*" or
":any" to mean "regardless of architecture". Currently, it seems from
the doc that there are no differences between both kinds of forms.

So, if I understand correctly, "Package: * *" is also a specific form,
and not equivalent to the generic form "Package: *".

BTW, the apt_preferences(5) man page uses "general" and "generic". It
should stick to one of them.