Re: Library of Alexandria Research Initiative - - - -

Message from Profesor LaPorte, University of Pittsburgh, Library of Alexandria

March  2016,  Building Research in Arab Countries

“Research is to see what everyone else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought”  (Gyorqyi)

Library of Alexandria Arab Help Desk

We are contacting selected faculty and students in Arab countries to help build research capacity. Please contact me, Ronald LaPorte,

Ph.D. Professor Emeritus if you have questions (ronaldlaporte@gmail.com)

     There are brilliant scientists in Arab countries.  However, globally the percentage of articles from Arab

 countries is quite low.  Ismail Serageldin and his team at the Library of Alexandria, and our team is working

 to changes this.  One primary reason for the low scientific publications is that of “Stataphobia” which is the

 fear of statistics and not having experts for advise.  The Library is now attacking Stataphobia by building perhaps

 the world’s largest research library.  We now have a grand new announcement for faculty members in Arab Countries.

   Eman Eltahlawy, one of the pillars of the BA research methods Library of Alexandria, has taken the

 lead to create a BA Arabic Language Research methods library of Alexandria.   It is difficult enough to

 learn about research methods and statistics, but even more so if it is in a second language (English).

 She has therefore worked with the library of Alexandria,  Huda Alkitkat, plus several others in Arab Countries,

  Eugene, Faina and I to build a Beta version of an Arabic Language Research Training library. This is exciting,

 as we have a full course in Arabic, as well as about 200 outstanding PowerPoint lectures in Arabic.

  We have a research methods help desk in Arabic language, links to surveys and apps in Arabic, and

 many other items. We are impressed with the quality of Arab lectures we have been able to collect.

 There is no other Arab Research methods Library that we know. In fact it might be the only one!

  What better place to house this then the Library of Alexandria? If you have Arabic PowerPoint lectures

 or Youtube on research methods, we would love to post these in the Library of Alexandria to help teach

 budding Arab researchers we would love to have you join.  You will receive full credit.

  Also, if you would like to volunteer for the Arab Language Research methods help desk let us know.

 Eman and we would love your comments to eman.eltahlawy@gmail.com

 http://www.pitt.edu/~super1/ResearchMethods/Arabicindexlight.htm

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known”  (Sagan)

“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity” (WHO)

Ronald LaPorte, Ph.D.

Professor Emeritus, Former Director WHOcc

Epidemiology

University of Pittsburgh

(724-934-9023) (home)

ronaldlaporte@gmail.com

Global Health, so near, so far

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity". (WHO)

Global lecture about Library of Alexandria Health

 https://pitt.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=717f3741-e50a-44ab-8a5a-a71a5bf6490

Ronald E. LaPorte, Ph.D.
Emeritus Director WHO Collaborating Center
Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

I prefer to have you email at