Re: Backports installed without prompt if not in base suite: bug or feature ?

Le Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 11:16:24PM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :

> The current behaviour of the backports suite is deeply rooted in how APT works.
> Following the "install" command for a package, APT will look at the versions
> present in its cache and their priorities ("pin values"), and following the
> rules explained the apt_preferences manpage, will either install one of these
> versions or do nothing.  In that sense, there is actually no difference between
> "installing" a package and "upgrading" a package.  For backport packages
> without a counterpart in the base suite, the backports versions are valid
> candidtes and will be installed without warning.  This is true as well for
> packages in the "experimental" suite.
>
> David wrote that he would like to implement a pattern system inspired from
> aptitude, and utilise this to configure and display package listings in a way
> that gives a chance to the user to cancel the installation of a backports
> package when this installation happens only because there is no version
> available in the base suite.

Hi David and everybody,

I would like to report the fruit of our discussion to the debian-cloud mailing
list.  Please let me know if you think that the summary above is inaccurate.
You are also welcome to let me know if you thing it is accurate :)

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles