Re: A strange idea for apt....

Okay,
Thanks for that. I wondered if the abundance of cheap Internet would ruin my plan.
All the best. Thanks for your work.
David

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 11:08 pm Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 01:11:55AM +0000, David Creelman wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> >From what I understand, apt uses something like bit-torrent to update the
> local lists of available software... which I imagine saves time.

No, it just uses http.

> Was wondering, would it be possible to do something like rebuild a local
> deb file from whatever is on your local machine and then use rsync to
> update the local file to the new deb file that is on the server, rather
> than simply downloading a completely new file?

rsync cannot handle debs.

There's debdelta which does delta upgrades for debs, but I'm not
sure if it is actively maintained anymore. And most people have
sufficient bandwith these days that just downloading a new package
is faster than using debdelta.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

When replying, only quote what is necessary, and write each reply
directly below the part(s) it pertains to (`inline'). Thank you.